Friday, May 24, 2013

Fashion? What's fashion?

My little sister and I cannot seem to decide whether we are opposites or the same person. On one hand, you never want to be on the opposite team if we're playing a guessing game; my sister and I can communicate easily without making a sound and send each other into peals of laughter. On the other hand, when it comes to music, fashion, hair, friends, colors, art, and anything else, we are polar opposites. She likes one direction and Rihanna while I abhor mainstream pop, hip hop, and rap and would much rather listen to Celtic punk.  She loves pink while 80% of my wardrobe is black, and the other 20% blue.  The most I do with my hair, even for big occasions, is curl or straighten it, while she takes an hour every morning to get read and likes bumps. She dyed her hair lighter blond on the day when I dyed mine black. Now we are clashing yet again, this time over my prom dress.  I can't post a picture of it (because certain boyfriends might want to look before prom), but I adore it and my sister does not.  She has picked out some of my favorite dresses, but this time we differ big time.  Out of every sparkly, bright mermaid dress she sent in, I chose a long, close-fitting  black dress. Even now, after I took my stand and bought it, I can tell that she thinks that I am crazy.
Even as I think about this, I realize that many good things have come out of my sister and I being so different. Being that painfully shy girl, I ran into plenty of stereotypical 'mean girls' that ruined my view of preppy, popular girls. This is probably what started me in the direction of liking the color black, death metal, and hating pop and pink.  However, despite this, my sister has shown me a whole other side of what would seem to be the stereotypical pretty blond girl.  My sister is one of the sweetest being who has ever been created. She is popular and beautiful, but kind and generous. We are different, but I love her more than anything else in the whole world, even if she doesn't like my prom dress. Without her, I might have become a bitter, popular-hating hipster, no better than those who hurt me in the past.

1 comment:

  1. I love your prom dress! I can't believe your sister doesn't. Just because it's black doesn't make it any less gorgeous and "prommy." It's classic! :)